Zambian Forum for Agricultural Extension and Advisory Services (ZAFAAS) is affiliated to the African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (AFAAS) and operates under the authority of the African Union (AU) to contribute to the fulfilment of the CAADPs Pillar IV (the Maputo and Malabo declarations). ZAFAAS operates at the national level under the auspices of both the African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Service (AFAAS) and the Southern African Regional Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (SARFAAS) - ZAFAAS is the complement to the research organisations established under FARA, particularly the Centre for Coordination of Agricultural Research and development in Eastern and Southern Africa (CCARDESA). ZAFAAS is hosted by the Department of Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture.
ZAFAAS works with key stakeholders to help farmers determine their own needs, meet production targets and above all to assume authority over their resources and livelihoods in a gender transformative and nutrition sensitive manner.
OBJECTIVES OF ZAFAAS
- Regulate the quality of Agricultural Extension and Advisory Services in Zambia in a gender responsive and nutrition sensitive manner;
- Provide professional advisory services on Agricultural extension and advisory services in Zambia;
- Promote exchange of innovative technologies and human resources;
- Contribute to capacity development of agricultural extension and advisory service providers;
- Influence policies and programmes related to agricultural extension and advisory services;
- Undertake any other activities geared towards development of agricultural extension and advisory services.
THE VISION OF ZAFAAS
“Agricultural extension and advisory services that efficiently and effectively contribute to sustained growth and transformation of agriculture in a gender responsive and nutrition sensitive manner”.
AIM OF ZAFAAS
“Professionalise the Agricultural Extension and Advisory Services delivery through establishment of standards and rules of engagements for service providers”.
ZAFAAS recognises the diversity in extension approaches between public and private sector providers and strives to achieve harmony for the common good of the farmer.
ZAFAAS envisions a Zambia with a stronger, better coordinated extension system that more effectively develops and provides the services and information farmers need. ZAFAAS input will help Zambia work towards a needs-driven system providing science-based solutions that address priority issues faced by farmers at the field level and the agricultural industry.